Security experts try to create awareness about cybercrimes since hackers launch different attacks online and release malware using phishing scams, stealing sensitive data from companies and individual articles. According to the reports published in the wall street journal, the number of cyberattacks have significantly increased in the last couple of years.
- Customers and vendors using the web have seen an increase in malware attacks by 240%.
- Supply chain industry that had to completely move online during the pandemic witnessed a sharp increase in phishing attacks by 140%.
- App based cyber crimes increased by 80%.
Such serious stats demand strict and immediate action on the part of users to increase the cybersecurity of their devices connected to the internet. Some techniques that prove to be effective are as follows.
- Strong Backdoor Password is an Effective Solution
Devices with a strong password are safer than the ones that have a default or a small password. The ideal characteristics that make a password strong are as follows.
- Strong passwords have more than 12 characters (12-15 is the ideal length.
- Strong passwords have symbols and numbers that complicate the password. Besides, the alphabets are a combination of uppercase letters and lowercase letters, both.
There are also some precautions that are necessary.
- Not sharing the password.
- Not storing them in files that are not encrypted.
- Using only password manager apps to store passwords.
- Making new passwords for every device.
- Network Segmentation Secures an Organization
Network segmentation is the cybersecurity practice that focuses on safeguarding the sensitive information by:
- Breaking it into many parts.
- Making many isolated networks instead of one.
- Using a different router for different networks.
- Storing one piece of information per network.
Here is the benefit of implementing this practice that’s also known as using firebreaks.
- A security breach on one network cannot spread to other networks since no two networks use the same router.
As a result of this:
- The cybersecurity team gets much more time to inform all employees using other networks to shut down their systems.
- Using enough tools to limit the malware damage as much as possible.
- Debugging The System
Bugs should be constantly removed from software. The different ways in which that can be done are listed below.
- Delete old files that are of no use
- Deleted software that doesn’t release new updates.
- Install updates as quickly as they are released.
To sum up, cybersecurity can be implemented if you follow the techniques to protect your devices. So, be smart and adopt all the techniques that have been listed above.